Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Craft Project: Cloud Baby Mobile

I fell in love with a cloud mobile I saw on etsy by leptitpapillon. You can check out her stuff at www.thebutterflying.com, or click on her name, which I linked to her Etsy profile.

Because I didn't want to spend that much on a baby mobile, and I have a LOT of time on my hands right now, I decided to try to make my own baby mobile. I wish I had taken more photos of the process, but I didn't. So I am just going to give you a verbal step-by-step account of how I made it, but here's a photo of the end result:

here we've got a dark grey, light grey, and white cloud. The grey clouds have black and blue rain drops, while the white cloud has pink and blue rain drops.


Here's a list of supplies needed:
- A silver hoop ring at least 8" diameter or larger
- ribbons in 1-3 different shades
- silver glitter glue
- felt in the color of clouds you want (in this case, I got 1 sheet of dark grey, 1 of light grey and 1 white felt sheet)
- silver chain
- chain cutter
- silver jewelry rings (disconnected) to connect chain to ring, cloud, and raindrops (I got a pack of 25 and a pack of 12)
- glue gun and glue sticks
- cotton balls
- scissors
- at least 9 rain drop shaped beads

Steps:

1. Cut out a cloud shape with the felt, leaving enough room to make an identical cloud shape from same sheet of felt
2. Trace first cloud and cut to match first
3. Put cotton balls on the first felt piece, make sure you don't put too much on or the ends won't meet.
4. Glue the two pieces together with cotton balls in between, making a fluffy felt cloud.
5. Line the clouds with silver glitter glue to create "silver lining"
6. Repeat until you have at least 3 clouds
7. When everything is dry, take a needle, and create a hole in the top of the cloud.
8. Cut chain long enough to hang your cloud from the silver hoop. Connect the chain to silver jewelry ring, then connect that jewelry ring to the silver hoop.
9. Thread a 2nd jewelry ring through the needle hole in the top of the cloud, and connect that to the other end of the chain hanging from the hoop.
10. Make 3 needle holes in the bottom of the cloud, spaced how you like.
11. Thread jewelry rings through all three needle holes.
12. Cut chain, make sure you stagger the lengths so your rain drops don't hang at the exact same height.
13. String the chain to the jewelry loop threaded through the cloud.
14. Add another jewelry loop to one of your raindrop beads, and attach to the hanging end of the chain.  Repeat on all the other chains.
15. Repeat steps 7-14 with the other 2 clouds.
16. Cut 3-4 lengths of ribbon, make sure they are long enough to hang the mobile from the ceiling. Tie them together, and hang however you see fit.

Those directions might suck.. but here's how it looks.




No comments: