Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day...

It's Mother's Day today... and I wanted to write down a few of my thoughts on the subject. First I want to start by saying that I'm greatful to my Mother. She's a good woman, and I know she worked very hard to be a good mother. My mom gave me emotional support, love, and encouragement. She taught me a lot.

Sometimes when I look in the mirror, I see my mother staring back at me. I see her eyes, or one of her many facial expressions. Sometimes I hear her when I say certain things, or inflect my voice. Sometimes I see her handwriting when I write things down in a hurry.

My mother is a natural nurturer. She makes everyone feel at ease, comfortable, and is often sought out for advice and counciling. This is something I have noticed occurs more and more with me. I feel so much love for others, and I enjoy helping them when I can.

I realize how important Motherhood is. Mothers teach us about the world, and how we interact with it. Mothers teach us how to behave around others, how to experience life's little mysteries. There is so much more to it than just giving birth. Mothers create and nurture little people, little legacies.

I always felt like a mother growing up. I had my little poodle, Muffin, who I babied and loved like a child. I am a mother now, to Akira. I love that little kitty, and just last night, when she came and cuddled up to me, laying her head on my chest, I felt my heart melt and soar with happiness. How such a tiny little cat can make someone like me feel so much love, so much pride, is a mystery. I cannot imagine the happiness my human children will bring me someday. Though I fear the responsibility and the way it will change my life, I know that when the day comes, I will do my best to love and teach and help my child to grow into a better person than I am.

I am greatful to all of the women in my life who have been like mothers to me. My step-mother, my mother-in-law, and many other mother-figures throughout my life. I am greatful to my own mother most of all. She did so much for me, and continues to support and love me today. I miss her very much today and wish I could give her a big thankful hug.

No comments: