Sunday, May 17, 2009

RIP Muffin... A tribute



Yesterday, May 16th, was Muffin's birthday. She would've turned 21 this year. I can't believe she's been dead for 5 years. I just wanted to list the reasons why Muffin was special to me, to remember her in the most positive and happy light I can.

I met Muffin when she was 4 years old, I was almost or barely 6. We picked her up from the Groomers, and then sat in a circle around her trying to get her to come sniff our hands or let us pet her. She was scared to leave my mother's side. My mom worked that summer, and Muffin would sit on the back of the couch howling for her. I felt so much compassion for the poor dog, that I wouldn't leave her side. I sat and pet her for hours, while the other kids played with the babysitter. I couldn't stand to hear her howling while I had fun, so I just stayed with her. After no more than 2 days of this, Muffin started following me around, sleeping in my bed, and coming when I whistled for her. What a good dog she was. As I grew up, and dealt with many hardships, Muffin always knew when I was sad, and she would lick the tears off of my face. When I came home from school, she was always waiting by the door to greet me. Our bond was so strong, that when I left her for a few months to be with my dad in the summer, my heart would ache knowing she would be waiting by the door every day until I came home. When I felt lonely, friendless, or unloved, Muffin took those feelings away for me. She was my best friend. I don't really expect anyone else to understand how deeply I loved my dog. The bond between man and dog can be something so beautiful if you have the ability to see dogs for what they truly are, loving, kind, and compassionate creatures, empathetic creatures. They love unconditionally, and if you show them love in return, there is a beautiful symbiosis that occurs between dog and dog's best friend. Muffin and I share many fond memories. She used to "hunt" acorns in the yard, and bring them to me as gifts. She and I would go for "daily rides" in my little red pedal car. Sometimes when we would come home from school, Muffin would be crossing the street from the park. We never figured out how she got out of the house. My theory was that she learned to open doors and met up with her boyfriend at the park. lol. Muffin was very protective of me... a few boys learned that lesson the hard way. Even as she got older, Muffin always showed a fierce loyalty to me. Once, I was swimming with some friends, and one of them kept dunking me under water, Muffin leapt in trying to save me, only to find herself in danger. I had to rescue her instead lol. What a sweet dog. I miss her little face, and how content she was to just sit in my lap or have me carry her around like a little purse. I miss kissing her little poufball head. Muffin taught me about unconditional love, about taking care of and appreciating small animals roles in life. She will always be in my heart. I love you, Muffin... I know we will be together again someday.

Blog Out.

No comments: