Wednesday, December 19, 2012

The Bird Dresser...

So... I am really excited about the pink and white dresser... as I said in my last blog post, I wanted to make it over. So I did. Blam. I'm that awesome.

Here's the before pictures:



Then I was like... Hmmm.. perhaps Pinterest would have good ideas of ways I could make this thing over?

It did... and it didn't. I saw a lot of bird murals but NONE of them looked like they would work on MY dresser.. so I free-handed a tree... and used some bird stencils which I then spruced up a bit.. but I used them as my base so I wouldn't totally screw it up.

Supplies I used: Acrylic Silver and Gold Paint MARKERS and some fine tip (SUCKY) Silver and Gold Paint Pens that were Oil Based... let me recommend against those, they totally suck and broke way before I was finished with them.

I then decided that since the drawer pulls that were already on there (even though they were super cute) were kind of macked up, missing jewels and what not.. I decided it was just not worth the hassle of trying to find the right jewels in the right colors and sizes to fix them, so I bought new drawer pulls.. birds!  I found them at World Market. They were pretty cheap, too!

Here's how it turned out:


The mural is not perfect, but I think that's what I like about it. It's got some character. And I had a lot of fun doing this.

I should mention installing the bird handles wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. The screws that came with them weren't long enough for these crazy thick faced drawers, so we had to go to Home Depot and find screws and then CUT them to fit properly. I needed Jeff for that.

Tada!!! Oh.. and I also found this cute owl lamp at World Market, and I got a plain lamp shade... which I decorated. It's kinda over the top, but I thought it was totally workable for the nursery..

I just glued ribbon around the bottom, made some felt roses from a tutorial I saw on Pinterest, and then stuck the feather in there for kicks and ended up liking it so much I left it in.


Tada!

I wanted to add that I put that cube bookshelf together all by myself... Normally I make Jeff do it but I wanted to see if I could.. and I did! It's perfect for what I needed it for! Got it at Target for like $20. I swear furniture makers seriously rip people off... I have done this entire nursery (aside from the crib, which I would NEVER skimp on and my Dad bought for me) for thousands less than I could've spent if I hadn't gotten creative and stayed stingy.

I'm still not sure if I'm going to get a glider.. I'm kind of debating that, and will probably decide after the little munchkin gets here.

Blog Out.

No comments: